Curve and The NPD Group presented the NPD & Curve Excellence Awards on Thursday September 17th on Curve Connect.
“We partnered with The NPD Group to award the best performing brands and the star retailers of the year. This year was an especially challenging time for everyone of us. The COVID pandemic continues to impact us all in various ways. Several of us encountered personal losses, a lot of our specialty stores had to close their doors and every one of us is feeling the economic impact. But out of this great tragedy, our community has come together and was able to demonstrate great unity and courage. Many brands have been supporting their retail partners and continue to help them weather the storm. We even have a number of specialty stores involved in various charity projects to give back to their local communities and essential workers. This year in particular, we wanted to celebrate the heroes of the intimate apparel industry “says Raphael Camp, CEO at Curve.
The awards were a special way to honor and celebrate brands and retailers making an impact both in the lingerie industry as well as their communities.
“We at Curve are pleased today to honor the retailers & brands that made an impactful difference this year. It’s been a challenging 6 months for our lingerie industry, however there are amazing people that needed acknowledgement. Their efforts to bring unity & inspire us all could not go un-noticed. Therefore, we decided to roll out the Red carpet with 5 Curve Excellence awards in the categories of Philanthropic Excellence, Charitable Giving, Lifetime Achievement, Education Excellence, & a special Congeniality award,” said Kirsten Griffin, Visitors Promotion Director at Curve.
The Philanthropic Excellence award was given to Larisa Olson, owner of Chantilly Lace. Olson started the Comfort Project as a way to give back to nurses in her community. This project then inspired many retailers to do the same in their areas.
Curve awarded 13 retailers and one brand from the US, Canada, and the Cayman Islands with the Comfort Project Award. Retailers included:
- Mary Jordan from Bra-La-La in Fulton, MD
- Patti Plat from A La Mode in Annapolis, MD
- Emily Doren & Holly Ortman from Lace & Day in Buffalo, NY
- Ilene Levy from Cheeks in Pittsburgh, PA
- Judy Masucci from Levana Bratique in Wexford, PA
- Rosa Viola Harris from Vy’s Closet in George Town, Cayman Islands
- Lynn Polashuk & Mindi Leikin from Necessary Secrets in Lutherville, MD
- Lee Padget from Busted Bra Shop in Detroit, Michigan & Chicago, IL
- Jeanne Emory from Bra Genie in Covington, LA
- Robin Horman from Lilibea’s in West Reading, PA
- Sabrina and Savi Jailall from Selena’s Fine Lingerie Boutique in Greensboro, NC
- Tamara Disaverio from Bliss Beneath in Barrie, Canada
- Liliana Mann from Linea Intima in Toronto Canada.
- Bill Haddad from Montelle in Canada.
Additional awards included:
- Life Time Achievement Award : Danny Koch owner of Town Shop in NYC
- The Education Excellence Award : Freddy Zappe of Eveden
- The Curve Congeniality Award: Jennifer Briscoe from Cosabella
In addition to the Curve Excellence Awards, The NPD Group presented the Intimate Apparel Retail Performance Awards. Awards were given to top performing intimate apparel brands in key bra segments during the 12 months ending June 2020, according to dollar sales from NPD’s Retail Tracking Service and NPD’s
“Thanks in part to the innovative approaches taken by so many brands, intimates is one of the bright spots within the U.S. apparel industry through the challenges of the pandemic,” said Todd Mick, NPD’s executive director, fashion apparel, and a subject matter expert on innerwear and swim. “NPD is thrilled to recognize the brands leading the way in helping to drive the intimate apparel industry forward by providing the benefits consumers need and want.”
- #1 Selling Bra in the U.S. During the Second Quarter of 2020: Ariela & Associates International LLC
- #1 Selling Average Figure Designer Bra in the U.S.: Natori
- #1 Selling Designer Sports Bra in the U.S.: Wacoal America
- #1 Dollar Growth Average Figure Designer Bra Brand in the U.S.: True & Co
- #1 Digital Native Bra Brand Among Millennials in the U.S.: Third Love
The NPD Group offers data, industry expertise, and prescriptive analytics to help their clients grow their businesses in a changing world. Over 2,000 companies worldwide rely on NPD to help them measure, predict, and improve performance across all channels, including brick-and-mortar and e-commerce.
Tune into Curve Connect to meet with top buyers and brands as well as watch informative webinars until September 25th, 2020.
Questions on how to join? Email us at [email protected]